The NSW government has unveiled plans to potentially convert Sydney’s Rosehill Gardens Racecourse into a vibrant city district, including approximately 25,000 homes, alongside green spaces and a Metro station. This initiative, dubbed the Metro West revamp, aims to address Sydney’s growing housing needs while enhancing public transport connectivity.
Key details of the proposal:
- Rosehill Gardens Racecourse: The iconic racecourse would be relocated to another site owned by the Australian Turf Club (ATC).
- New Residential Hub: The vacated land would be developed into a new community with an estimated 25,000 homes, offering diverse housing options to cater to different needs and budgets.
- Green Infrastructure: The plan prioritizes integrating green spaces into the new development, ensuring residents have access to parks, playgrounds, and other recreational areas.
- Enhanced Public Transport: A dedicated Metro station will be constructed within the new district, providing residents with convenient access to the wider Sydney region.
- Economic Opportunities: The development is expected to create thousands of jobs during the construction phase and contribute to the growth of the local economy.
Benefits of the project:
- Addressing Housing Needs: The project has the potential to significantly increase housing supply in Sydney, helping to address the current housing affordability crisis.
- Improved Public Transport: The new Metro station will offer residents faster and more efficient travel options, reducing reliance on private vehicles and contributing to a more sustainable transport network.
- Enhanced Liveability: The creation of green spaces and recreational facilities will contribute to a healthier and more enjoyable lifestyle for residents.
- Economic Growth: The project is expected to generate substantial economic activity, creating job opportunities and boosting the local economy.
The proposal is currently in its early stages, and further planning and consultation will be required before development can commence. The government will work in collaboration with the ATC, local stakeholders, and the community to ensure the development is designed and implemented in a way that maximizes benefits for all parties involved.
This potential transformation of Rosehill Racecourse presents an exciting opportunity to create a thriving new community in Sydney, offering residents a desirable place to live, work, and play while contributing to the city’s growth and prosperity.